MoodleNet v0.7 alpha update

MoodleNet v0.7 alpha login page

A couple of days ago the team deployed MoodleNet v0.7 alpha, which includes the following new functionality, UI tweaks, and bug fixes.

Functionality added

  • Timeline views
  • User profile pages

UI tweaks

  • New discussions view
  • Improved login page

Bug fixes

  • Fixed ‘a few seconds ago’ bug
  • Various small bug fixes

Note that the timeline views aren’t exactly as we want them, so we’re tweaking them over the next week or so.

In addition, we’re working on our Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) with Moodle’s Privacy Officer and external Data Protection Officer (DPO). That will be finalised before we launch the first beta next month.

We’re currently working on:

  1. Federation — the ability to have separate instances of MoodleNet that can communicate with one another.
  2. Moodle Core integration — add a resource from MoodleNet to a course in a Moodle course.
  3. Refactoring and code clean-up — ensuring MoodleNet runs as quickly, efficiently, and bug-free as possible!

The next release, v0.9 alpha, is scheduled for week beginning 8th April 2019.

MoodleNet testing: Day 13 update

Update: Check out this overview video showing the changes we’ve made!

MoodleNet screenshot - Day 13

Yesterday, we made our first major update to the version of MoodleNet currently undergoing initial testing. Not only did this update alter the look and feel of the interface, but it also added some useful new functionality and fixed some bugs reported by users via Changemap.

Functionality added

  • Gravatars to represent users
  • Community overviews
  • List of members in communities
  • Collections display number of resources they contain
  • Collections indicate number of followers

UI tweaks

  • Button styles and positions improved (e.g. for ‘Create a community’)
  • Increased character limit in text fields
  • Moved language selector to menu and removed flags
  • Added full-width images in communities
  • Sidebar has a darker colour

Bug fixes

  • Improved metadata import when adding resources
  • Users can only add resources & edit collections in communities they’ve joined
  • ‘All collections’ page fixed
  • Switching languages and then back to British English no longer causes an error
  • Word wrapping on community descriptions

Next week, we’re aiming to add collection-level discussions, featured collections, and basic user profiles.


For those interested in our product management processes, we’ve also switched to Moodle Tracker (Jira) for stories and epics while sticking with GitLab for issues. Check out bit.ly/MN-epics